Crusaders 5 Mustangs 3
The Crusaders were looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss last Sunday against the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.
On the other side of the ice, Calgary were also looking to get back in the win column following back-to-back losses to the Okotoks Oilers and Calgary Canucks.
Here’s how it went:
The opening frame was one for the special teams with both sides combining for 10 minutes of penalties.
Neither team was able to break down the others powerplay, however, the Crusaders did get themselves on the board twice. Brandon Wallis opened up the games scoring with his first since November 14th at the nine-minute mark – Erik Miller grabbed an assist on that goal. The Crusaders continued to pile on the pressure and at one point the shot count sat at 15-5.
Their second goal of first 20 came from Garrett Clegg. Ty Readman burst out of the penalty box to help set up Clegg – who wired a hard shot right by Abel – for his 15th of the year.
Brandon Vogel stood tall between the pipes and made some massive saves the keep the Stangs’ at bay. He stopped all 11 shots he faced.
2-0 Crusaders heading into the intermission.
Ashton Abel – the Mustangs rookie netminder – made potentially his save of the season after taking away a for sure goal from Payton McIsaac with his glove. Rightful so the crowd acknowledged how good of save it was.
Shortly after, Dylan Stewart pulled the puck away from a scramble in front of Abel’s goal and slot home an easy goal giving the Cru a 3-0 lead.
The Mustangs turned their game up quickly. For the remainder of the period, they had the majority of possession and even got themselves ago from captain Salvatore Scalise.
Towards the end of the period Tyson Gruninger rifled one off the crossbar.
3-1 Crusaders after 40 minutes.
It was a fairly boring first 10 minutes. Neither team could gain control of the puck and was very much a neutral zone battle.
The Crusaders found themselves on the penalty kill at the midway mark of the third when Payton McIsaac was called for hooking. The penalty kill was out their for the majority of the kill and did a tremendous job of blocking shots and giving up any big scoring opportunities.
To wrap up the period the Mustangs scored two late goals, but two empty-net goals from Tyson Gruninger made sure the comeback wouldn’t be complete.
- Tyson Gruninger hits people hard. Every time he had an opportunity he made sure he laid the hit. He’s going to be a great addition for the Crusaders done the stretch.
- Brandon Vogel had another excellent game between the pipes making 28 saves. Many of those were big stops the keep the lead in his teams favour.
- A well played team game by the Crusaders.
- Not as many turnovers tonight. They really brushed off that bad loss against the Oil Barons last Sunday.
- They took 8 penalties tonight. The Mustangs were able to capitalize on two of them
- They went 0 or 4 on the powerplay despite having good puck movement and decent opportunities.
Tomorrow night the Crusaders will look to make it two in a row against the Canmore Eagles.