FINAL SCORE: Crusaders 8 Grizzlies 5
A great deal of offense came out of today’s game with both teams producing 79 shots. This was a huge win for the Sherwood Park Crusaders that helped them snap a four-game losing streak.
The whole team looked fairly solid for the majority of the game with the first line leading the way. First line center Ty Readman had a big hand in the win today scoring three goals along with that he played a great defensive game too. There was no question who the superior team was on the ice with the Crusaders dominating from start to finish.
- Right out the gate, the first line got the Cru on the scoreboard with a breakaway goal from Tyler Maltby.
- Cru won a lot of the puck battles along the wall in the first.
- During the first period, the first line was dominant offensively, creating plenty of chances but unfortunately, couldn’t put any more in the net. The trio of Maltby, Readman, and Atwal also for filled their defensive responsibilities too, getting down to block the puck a couple of times and clearing the puck out of the zone. They continued to do this for the whole game.
- After conceding late in the first the Crusaders responded positively, they created a lot of chances and controlled the rest of the period.
- Solid hustle by Oszytko to stop the icing and put pressure on the goalie which then produced a goal.
- The third line had an excellent second period, producing a good deal of chances for themselves which resulted in another goal for Oszytko.
- Tanner Younghans had a superb game, winning the puck battle behind the net then passing the puck out front for Dykstra to score. He also grabbed himself a short-handed goal after blocking a shot, which gave him a clear path to the goal then slid the puck in under the goalie pads.
- All four lines for the Crusaders had solid games. First three lines produced plenty of offense whilst the fourth line went out there a kept the puck in the opponents end and played a nice physical game.
- The defensemen were caught napping a few times behind their own net. Luckily for them, their teammates were there to bail those players out.
- A 2 on 1 breakaway lead to Olds getting on the scoreboard. Not much Klassen could have done.
- Shortly before Olds first goal, the Cru failed the clear the puck out of the zone after numerous attempts. The Grizzlies were unfortunate not score after the puck squeezed through and hit the post. The sloppy play could’ve meant a sloppy goal.
- The penalty kill didn’t look good for the Cru this afternoon, they allowed the Grizzlies to produce a lot which gave them two goals on their three powerplays.
- Goaltending had it in tough with the team allowing 34 shots on goal.
THE TURNING POINT
It all started from the hard work that the Crusaders third line gave. Solid hustle from Merritt Oszytko to not give up on the puck put pressure on the Grizzlies goaltender ending with a goal from Stafford. Although the team was still up at this point they had just conceded and the way the third line responded was perfect.
The Cru hit the road for their next game against the 2-8-2 Drayton Valley Thunder. That game is October 29th with puck drop at 7:30pm at the Drayton Valley Omniplex. This should be a great chance for the Cru get to grab another victory.