(photo via calgaryherald.com)
Now 3 days from the NHL draft, rumours are flying around and it’s hard to tell which ones are real and which ones are started by an “NHL Rumours” twitter account with 300 followers.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the bigger rumours that have been tossed around in the last 48 hours:
TAYLOR HALL TO NEW YORK
Oilers twitter has been a buzz with all the Taylor Hall talk. The 24 year old was mentioned by a Boston reporter who claimed he could be involved in a deal to the New York Islanders.
The Oilers, looking for a right shot d-man, would likely be after Travis Hamonic and while the deal would provide very good value for the Islanders, I don’t think they follow through on it.
Not only are the Islanders not looking at moving Hamonic at all (after he rescinded his trade request) but they aren’t sold on Hall either, according to reports.
Garth Snow is looking at a cheaper alternative to Kyle Okposo and Taylor Hall doesn’t fit that description.
The other potential Hall deal being thrown around is Johnny Boychuk plus a package of picks/prospects. Any offer that involves picks/prospects and not a true top pairing d-man for Taylor Hall is likely an offer Peter Chiarelli scoffs at.
While there is a lot of buzz, don’t look forward to a Hall to Brooklyn deal anytime soon.
BLUES HAVE AN OFFER FOR SHATTENKIRK
The St. Louis Blues defense is loaded on the right side with Alex Pietrangelo (not going anywhere), 23 year old Colton Parayko (definitely not going anywhere) and Kevin Shattenkirk.
It’s been known for a while that the Blues would be looking to deal Shattenkirk, who becomes a UFA at the end of next season, but now talks are really starting to heat up.
In an interview with TSN 1050 in Toronto on tuesday morning, Darren Dreger said that the Boston Bruins have offered a first round pick to the Blues for Kevin Shattenkirk. The Bruins hold 2 first round picks this year at 14th overall and 29th overall, so it’s unclear which selection was offered.
That’s nowhere near the value I’d expect the Blues to get for Shattenkirk. I would be looking at something like what the Bruins got for Lucic a year ago when they dealt him to the Kings. A first rounder, a roster player and a prospect.
The Oilers are also heavily after the right handed Kevin Shattenkirk, so expect a big offer to come from them in the coming days. Something that could even involve the 4th overall pick.
BISHOP TO CALGARY
Vezina finalist Ben Bishop’s name has been thrown around a lot due to the fact that there will be an expansion draft in 2017. The Lightning will be protecting youngster Andrei Vasilevski so they may want to cash in on Bishop’s value now, instead of losing him next year in either the expansion draft or free agency.
There was a sense that Calgary was making a push for Bishop yesterday, but as of today I’ve heard multiple reports that Bishop has not been asked to waive his no-trade clause to Calgary, or anywhere for that matter.
OILERS AND DEVILS
Tuesday morning TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug pointed out that Edmonton and New Jersey could be trading partners as the the Oilers need a right shot defenseman and the Devils need offense and have lots of cap space. He never mentioned a name specifically but there are a few names that make sense if the Oilers were to actively pursue Severson.
The first name would be Nail Yakupov. IF the Oilers were to use Yakupov in a deal like this it would likely involve them throwing in some extra pieces, most likely a mid round draft pick.
I could also see this turning into a bigger deal, maybe something along the lines of Jordan Eberle and Mark Fayne (cap dump) for Severson, some picks and the rights to pending RFA Kyle Palmieri. That however, is purely speculation.
WHAT TO WATCH
- The Carolina Hurricanes are reportedly looking to add another top 6 forward and could dip into their young defensive core to do so.
- Greg Brady is reporting that the Red Wings have found a suitor to take on Pavel Datsyuk’s contract, they are now haggling on the price. Expect a young forward going to the team who takes Datsyuk, and the Wings to get a bottom 6 forward on an expiring deal. I believe that team is Arizona, could also be New Jersey.
- It was thrown out there that the Buffalo Sabres are prepared to offer Steven Stamkos $12 million on July 1st, GM Tim Murray says that number is false.
- Sticking with Stamkos, Bob McKenzie says there will be a “double-digit” amount of teams prepared to offer Stamkos “double-digit dollars” over 7 years. Expect the Sabres, Leafs, Red Wings and Rangers to be the front-runners for the 2 time 50 goal scorer.
- The Capitals have been getting calls on forwards Marcus Johansson, but the focus remains to sign him to a new deal.
- I’m also hearing the Capitals could be ready to deal a defenseman, to get some value for players who may not be protected in the upcoming expansion draft. IF they can’t find a taker for Brooks Orpiks contract, expect Dmitry Orlov or even Karl Alzner to be in play.
- There was a Rick Nash for Cam Fowler deal being thrown around the twittersphere lately, but Bob McKenzie shot that down. The deal makes close to no sense for Anaheim.